Mar 4, 2015

Pretty Quilled Cards - 1st Anniversary


One year ago, my book was officially released.

To make that happen, I was inspired by all the kind comments on this blog, which I re-read whenever I needed a boost.

I was given the free hours to write, test, and develop patterns by my hubby, who also had to console me when things didn't work out the way I imagined. I had three awesome quillers by my side, testing and giving feedback along the way. I had friends and family helping and cheering me on as I developed each design or sorted out technical challenges.

After it launched, I had the gracious help of amazing quillers provide reviews. They gave me their precious time and provided their perspective in book reviews. I sweated bullets, wondering how my thoughts and techniques would fare, as I had admired each of them for quite some time.

When I think about this past year and everything that has happened, one word that sums up how I feel is "thanks". I'm so grateful to everyone who helped make the planets line up for me, from my editor who saw my potential to paper enthusiasts all over the world. I'm grateful my friends and family put up with my paper fever and nod along as I prattled on with my passion.

To celebrate this anniversary, I thought I would quill a card to you all, to give you my thanks.



I'm very aware that I haven't been blogging in the last few months. I don't normally talk about personal things on this blog, but feel a need to explain why I've been so quiet lately. I recently changed to a more demanding job and I am also devoting time to a loved one who is ill. My mind has been very preoccupied and it doesn't feel the quiet space it needs to allow papery-goodness to flourish.

To thank all my supporters for the above, my plan is to make this simple word into a tutorial pattern. It would be the same as the others - with templates to show the length, where to glue, and step-by-step photos and tips along the way. I've been making this word again and again, trying different materials and thicknesses until I know what works best.

I look forward to talking about it more when it's ready, and I thank you in advance for your patience as I find the zen to amass all the details.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, I loved the card! I hope everything turns all right for you with your personal life. And congratulations on that amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts, Diana! I'm grateful to have your enthusiasm for my book. :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Cecelia, nice to see you posting again - I know things are difficult for you and I really hope that your loved one is as well as can be expected. I am going through something similar now with my own loved one and I know what you mean about how it can overwhelm your thinking, leaving little space for anything else, but when you get a little time, it is lovely to have such a therapeutic craft to turn to. You have done a magnificent job with your thank you card - it is beautiful and so neat! my efforts never turn out that way!?! I send all my good wishes, to you and your loved one. Take care. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right Karen. I'm incredibly lucky to have quilling be a great escape, just like a good book. Cheap therapy indeed! I hope you get some quiet moments as well with my good wishes being sent right back at you, as you tend to your loved one.

      Hugs, Cecelia

      PS, don't think this card was my first attempt! Plus, if you photograph quilling from an angle, it minimizes all the flaws, SERIOUSLY! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Hi Cecelia
    'late to the party' as my comment is I just wanted to say that you have laid a long lasting and unquestionable mark on the quilling / paper crafting / blogging community that, though you may not be posting regularly, you are not far from our thoughts and our screens.

    In fact EVERY time I look up quilled hearts yours is at the top. So I want to thank YOU for your dedication to helping us 'get it right'. I love my Pretty Quilled Cards but I have to tell you I had someone so desperate for one that I gave them my tattered one. I can always get another one :)

    I hope your new position is working out for you and that you are able to spend quality time with your loved one.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late to hear your thoughts Cheryl! Oh-my-gosh, I'm blushing. You are the absolute sweetest to say such things to me.

      Haahahhaha, really? Someone wanted my book that badly? You truly are as angelic as the angels you quill Cheryl!

      I hope you also have a chance to find some quiet time for yourself. I miss our quick and not-so-quick chats about paper love.

      Cecelia

      Delete
  4. Incredible quillography , Cecelia. I just stumbled upon your Facebook page, which led me to your blog and here's where I came to know about your book . I look forward to reading it and get inspired from it soon.
    Congratulations on achieving this milestone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind Jasleen - your quillography is stunning in its detailed control. Thank you for plastering a big smile on my face today! :D
      Cecelia

      Delete