Oct 15, 2015

Quilling Spotted at Sugarfina


A friend of mine showed me a photo and asked if it was quilling. YES, the rolled rose is! But how are the rest made? Where is this place? Who made it? I had to find out and see it for myself.


My quest led me to Sugarfina, a gourmet candy shop within the new Nordstrom, Vancouver. This is their main wall. Isn’t it mesmerizing?



Here’s a side pony wall where more flowers can be studied up close.


Yes, I got up really close!


They are hung with finishing nails and wire. I wonder how the wire is attached to the flower? What kind of glue did they use? What kind of paper and why?


Here’s my hand to give you a sense of scale of these beauties.


And here is the artist’s signature - a subtle emboss on a single petal of every flower. The staff there said the flowers were shipped up from head office, so they didn't know who made them. After some sleuthing, I found the artist’s breathtaking work at, Balushka at http://www.balushka.com/

I'm seeing an increase in paper for branding and marketing — and I just love it! Has anyone else spotted more quilling used this way?


Our sweet visit lasted a little longer because we couldn’t resist bringing a treat home with us.

8 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Good job on the sleuthing to find the artist, and yay for paper arts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was just calling out to me to come downtown for my "paper pilgrimage". I breathed such a sigh of contentment just admiring it all. All the store staff smiled so nicely at me, even though I'm sure I looked ever so slightly nuts!

      Delete
  2. Wow, these are lovely, would love to learn to make them if at all possible. Paper arts are fabulous and fun. Thank you for this peek into this artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sande, well the quilling rose one is very easy to do. Here's a link to a video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeN9_K1xrWQ

      The others ones are likely custom made by the artist.

      So happy you love this sight too!

      Cecelia

      Delete
  3. these are so beautiful! is it Vancouver BC or Washington? I am from WA so am familiar with both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki, yay! Another paper fanatic near me! It's in Vancouver, BC. Here's the full address:

      Pacific Centre
      799 Robson Street
      Vancouver, BC V7Y 0A2
      Phone: (604) 699-2100
      Hours: 9:30 am – 9:00 pm

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hello Torviewtoronto, I agree, Balushka's work is quite stunning!
      Cecelia

      Delete